In the Habit of Naming Things
In our family, we name things. Like, seriously, everything. It’s funny, too, because you’d think that I would do that, being a writer and all, but you wouldn’t think my dad would. Or my fourteen-year-old sister. Or everyone else who lives within the confines of our home.
It is weird, though. And the weirdest part is that I never once realized this was unnormal when I was growing up. I thought that everyone named their possessions! It is only as I grow older that I am becoming more self-conscious of the oddness of this habit. Naming things. And always with human names, mind you. We’ve never called a pet “Fluffy” or “Princess” or “Spot.” It’s always “Esther” or “Emma” or “Giselle” or “Zach”.
Anyway, my friends think I’m very strange. So below, I will list all of the named objects that we have that I can think of, and you can comment with either an affirmation of my weirdness, or a sweet remarking telling me how much you love me anyway and how I could never, ever possibly be weird to you! 😉
Here is our long, illustrious list of named possessions:
- We have two cats named Emma and Esther. They both have the middle name “Louise”, because my dad thinks that all of our pets should have the middle name “Louise”, for some weird reason.
- Our car is named “Sacagawea”, because she takes us places.
- My dad decided to name our house “Ein Gedi”, after the desert oasis in the Bible. Why? Because, according to my father, our home is an oasis in the dry, thirsty desert of the world.
- There are several wild deer who often hang out in our backyard. We named the buck “Buck Stew”.
- We also once found a stray cat that Hannah and I decided to name “Mr. Darcy”. Not for any particular reason either, except that it was fun to run to the window and go, “Oh! Mr. Darcy! Dear sisters, it’s Mr. Darcy!” all breathlessly every once in a while.
- Once upon a time, we owned a dozen guinea hens. Before they all died, they were all named! Mine was “Rowena”, in case you were wondering.
- We feed a pair of hummingbirds that live somewhere nearby. They are fondly called “Mildred” and “Vernon”, and we make up stories about their life together.
- Hannah insists that her laptop is named “Lola”, and when it’s not working, she gets annoyed and says, “Come on, Lola. Come on, girl.”
Well, that’s about all I can think of that we have named. It is quite a lot, but come on, it’s not that strange, right? 😉